TMJ Disorder: Major Dental Problems in Older Adults
Smile is regarded as not only a symbol of happiness but also a measure of good oral health. A healthy smile is effective enough to impress a number of people, but, due to certain reasons, all are not able to carry this healthy smile.
Here, in this article, we will discuss, one of the major dental problems, known as Temporo-mandibular Joint (TMJ) disorder, which is not only very painful but, at the same time, it acts as a hindrance to a healthy smile. Further, we will understand how TMJ services in Chino helping people who have been suffering from this dental problem. So, let’s begin!
What is Temporo-mandibular Joint (TMJ)?
TMJ, which stands for Temporo-mandibular Joint is the joint that connects the upper and the lower jaw together. Across all the joints available in the human body, TMJ is still the most complex one. The TMJ joint is responsible for facilitating the following movements,
- Side-to-side jaw movements
- Back and fro movement of the jaw
What is Temporo-mandibular Joint Disorder?
Any malfunctioning of this Temporo-mandibular Joint (TMJ) results in an imbalance in the upper and the lower jaw movements. This imbalance is called Temporo-mandibular Joint (TMJ) disorder. So, if one comes across such dental problems, then they need to seek medical assistance from the top-notch dentists and get the instant remedy to all such dental problems.
Some of the most common symptoms that are experienced by the people suffering from TMJ disorder and who need to seek TMJ services in Chino are as follows:-
- Locking of the Jaw.
- Frequent headaches.
- Tenderness of the jaw muscles.
- The constrained motion of the lower jaw.
- Popping or clicking sound, when the mouth is opened.
- Pain in the jaw and nearby areas like cheeks, ears, and temple.
- Sudden change in the way lower and the upper teeth fit together.
How to prevent the occurrence of TMJ disorder?
It’s an old saying that “Prevention is better than cure”. Thus, it is important to make sure that necessary measures are taken to avoid the occurrence of Temporo-mandibular Joint (TMJ) disorder and keep good oral health.
- Regularly massage your cheeks, jaw, and temples.
- Keep the lips together, face relaxed and teeth apart.
- Avoid holding phone in-between shoulder and neck.
- Avoid chewing hard foods, clenching, and grinding teeth.
- Take smaller bites and chew your food properly and slowly.
- Chew gradually from both sides of your mouth, via the upper and lower jaws.
All these preventive measures can help you get rid of the TMJ disorder and if in case, it occurs then you needn’t worry! Therefore, one needs to pursue medical assistance from the dentists and recover from this disorder easily, which is discussed in the following context.
How TMJ disorder treated?
There are some of the interesting remedial solutions offered by the leading dentists, which all are discussed herewith:-
- Bite Adjustments – Among all dental services, bite adjustments are offered by us, which can help you streamline your jaw movements.
- Bite Guards – Other than the available orthodontic devices, Bite Guards are quite useful. It helps in easing the TMJ pain and is quite popular among the people who have been suffering from this disorder.
- Night Guards – There are Night Guards that are too available in the market, which is another good option available for the treatment among the available dental services.
Therefore, dental hygiene is not just confined to taking care of teeth, but it means maintaining good oral health. Further, if you have been experiencing any of these TMJ problems, then do not worry, simply pursue dental assistance and gift yourself good oral health.