Different Types of Eye Exams Conducted in Franconia, VA
Eyes are one of the most vital organs of the body. It helps us manage our day to day life and see the beauty of the world. But nowadays several people are facing eye-related issues. One common reason behind it is almost all the food we intake is adulterated with some or other toxic chemicals. Further, a high level of pollutant present in the air put our eyes at high risk.
Again the hereditary and age-related factors also contribute to eye problems.
It is advised by experts to go for an eye exam annually. Again visiting an eye doctor for the first time can be overwhelming. The reason being your eye doctors may schedule several eye test but do not panic as you are under safe hands.
So, if you are looking for an eye exam in Franconia, VA, you are lucky enough. The reason being there are many good eye doctors in Franconia providing quality services.
Different types of Eye Test:
- Slit Lamp test: The test uses a biomicroscope allowing the optometrist to have a close look at the patient’s eyelids, cornea, iris, conjunctiva, and also other internal structures. It helps in detecting cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Refraction: The test uses a chart usually fixed twenty feet away. Then you are asked to look through a tool called phoropter. The eye specialist then passes the lens of different strength through the phoropter placed in front of your eye. You can now answer whether things look blurry or clear. Depending upon your opinion the optometrist will prescribe your glasses or lenses. The test also enables the doctor to diagnose presbyopia, hyperopia, myopia, and astigmatism.
- Color vision testing: The color vision test involves looking at a colored number made out of dots. The colored numbers are usually placed in the background of different colors. People with normal color vision will see the number as it is, while the one with a defect will visualize a wrong number.
- Non- Contact Tonometry: It enables detection of Glaucoma. In the method, the doctor uses a tool called tonometer to blow a mild puff of air and measures the eye pressure by the patient’s resistance to puff.
- Fluorescein Angiogram: In this method, the doctor injects a special dye, named fluorescein in the vein of your arm. Soon the dye mixes with the blood and reaches the blood vessels in your eye.
Then a camera with special filters is used by the doctor to highlight the dye. With the help of images of the dye passing through the blood vessels of your eye, the doctor can spot circulation problems, swelling, leaking, and abnormal blood vessels. Again this test helps in diagnosing diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment, and macular degeneration.
- Dilation: The method uses a special fluid to dilate the eyes to make it ready for the eye exam. Pupil dilation enables the eye specialist to examine the back portion of your eyes. This portion comprises of the retina, important blood vessels, and optic nerve.
No matter whether you wear glasses or not, it is vital to go for an eye exam annually. Since it helps in detecting early vision problems and help minimize the risk of vision loss. Many diseases like Glaucoma do not show any visible sign until you go for an eye exam. Again eyes are the mirror of our body. Hence an eye exam can detect other diseases prevalent in our body.