Being the serious health issue, only a few percentages of people suffer from Night Sweats. Although most of its cases are not life-threatening yet doctor consultation is suggested for detecting the exact underlying cause. Sweating is often referred to as the natural cooling mechanism of the body against the prevention of overheating.
The hypothalamus of the brain monitors the body temperature by stimulating about two million sweat glands for keeping the body cool. When watery sweat gets evaporated emission of heat energy takes place. As a result, it makes the body cool. This post is all about regular causes of the night sweats and its reliable treatment options. So, read on to know.
Causes of Night Sweat
Workouts during the hot days are not only aspect for triggering the coolness. Certain other health issues are also there which trigger the excessive sweat production particularly at the time of sleeping at night. These can be any of the following aspects:
- Endocrine (hormonal) imbalances: It can happen during pregnancy, puberty, thyroid disease, diabetes and menopause.
- Infection: TB (Tuberculosis) infection is usually related to the night sweats. Its common causes are influenza, HIV including other febrile sicknesses.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea: Restrictive breathing can be experienced due to the narrowing of the throat walls. Night sweats is commonly experienced by the people with the issue of untreated sleep Apnoea in the long haul.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD): Heartburn is the primary symptom of this complication often coupled with the night sweat issue.
- Cancer: Night sweat is often considered as the warning sign of cancer. Even Leukaemia and Lymphoma are also interlinked to the night sweats.
Other medical conditions include:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Low Blood Sugar or Hypoglycemia
- Cardiovascular Disorders
- Abuse of substances including heroin
- Anxiety Disorders
Side effects caused by medication
Certain medications like steroids, pain relievers, diabetes medications, hormones and antidepressants may cause sweating. Many usual prescribed genetic medications are also there accompanied with the side effect of night sweat. They are given in the following:
- Nicotine replacement
- Naproxen sodium
It is always advisable to visit the doctor for full medical check up if you have any concerns regarding the potential side effects of the said medications.
Treatments of Night Sweat
The right choice of treatment option for Night Sweats is depended on the exact cause of it. It can happen due to adjustment of medications, hormone irregularities and other contributing aspects. If the exact cause of excessive sweating can’t be determined then the treatment will be offered as both management and prevention methods.
- Sleep in the cool environment and along with non-synthetic, breathable and light sheets and nightclothes. Cotton sheets can be purchased online
- Avoid using heavy comforter or with over bundling
- Avoid the consumption of spicy foods, caffeine and alcohol
- Before bedtime, apply the clinically strength antiperspirant to the more susceptible areas of the body like groin, chest, back, hairline, feet, hands and underarms.
- Don’t eat 2-3 hours prior to go to bed
- Follow low sugar and low fat diet
- Use a fan or air-conditioning
- Practice relaxation breathing exercises after wake up and before going to bed
- Perform regular exercise
- Maintain a normal healthy body weight
- Drink sufficient amount of water during daytime
Anticholinergic agents are the medication type that alleviates sweating. But it can be only taken if advised by a doctor.
Men can encounter night sweats resulting from any of the above-mentioned conditions. According to the anecdotal evidence, ideally men suffer from this medical condition at the time of “manopause”. It is the period when a man produces low testosterone. Though, there are only a couple of evidences for its support.
Due to the changes in hormone, women usually experience hot flashes and night sweats during menopausal period. To alleviate the unwanted sweating incidence, you have to wear light clothes, sleep in the well-ventilated room, have a balanced diet and maintain right body weight.
In case the lifestyle change is not effective enough, hormonal treatment (HT) can help in improving the symptoms. Night sweat is the common annoyance experienced by a person during sleeping at night and that too in the warm condition. However, if anyone drenches in the night sweat or experience any change, doctor consultation is required.
Many persons excessively sweat throughout night and day. This condition is medically termed as hyperhidrosis. Just because of embarrassment, a number of people dropdown the idea of speaking up with their doctors. But if you really do you can seek proper medical assistance.
So, if you experience night sweat often then, you mustn’t ignore it. Rather, you are advised to make an appointment with the doctor for full health check up. By this way, the exact underlying cause can be determined and right treatment will be offered on time.