Tips to Maintain Your Woodwind Gear and Importance of Woodwinds Insurance
Musical instruments are fragile. And, owing to the amount of precision and fineness that goes into manufacturing these gears, time to time maintenance and care are a must. So if you are a professional musician or an amateur music enthusiast, always remember, a well-maintained gear offers the best playability. Plus, maintenance also increases the life of the musical instruments and protects these from easy breakage or damage.
Maintaining musical instruments is especially crucial for young people who generally don’t get time to take proper care of their woodwinds. In this world of quick-fixes, just a couple of minutes of daily care are sufficient to get your horns performing well for many years.
Don’t overlook the importance of musical insurance
And, another important thing is Woodwinds Insurance. To protect your gear from the unforeseen situations, you should get proper insurance coverage. And, when your gear is well-maintained and well-protected insurance, you can take a sigh of great relief.
Here we have outlined some easy care tips that will keep your woodwind performing great for years to come. Let’s read on!
General cleaning instructions for all woodwinds
- Make sure to clean your instruments using a gear-specific swab post every playing session. And, never leave the swabs inside the horn, no matter what.
- Make sure not to use a cleaning cloth that’s way larger than your instrument. Musical gears like piccolos and oboes have got small bores. So, you might find it difficult to clean than using a large piece of cloth.
- Clean your instrument, as and when needed, to get rid of the grease and fingerprints. Refrain from using alcohol to clean the parts made up of plastic.
- Besides taking care of the instrument, you should also consider checking out the case to ensure that the handles, hinges, and latches are properly. Also, make sure to keep the inside of the case clean.
Instrument-specific maintenance instructions
Piccolo or Flute
- Keep all the sockets and tenons neat and clean.
- If you’ve got a silver flute, avoid polishing it on your own as it can cause further damage to the instruments.
- Make sure to check the seal of the head cork along with its position.
- You should only use a standard cleaning cloth for cleaning your gear.
Oboe or Clarinet
- Always keep the tenons lubricated, but make sure not to overdo it.
- Check out the bell rings and sockets to find if they are in place or have gotten loose.
- If your clarinet is a wooden one, check for leaks and cracks at least once in a year.
- If your gear is made up of brass, make sure to clean the sockets and tenons regularly.
- Keep all the sockets and tenons neat and clean and well-lubricated. Avoid over-lubricating those
- Make sure to check out the guard screws on a weekly basis.
- To prevent your saxophone for damaging due to the bottom blow, make sure to use a neck strap.
- Make sure that the bocal corks and tenons of your bassoon are well-lubricated.
- Be very careful when assembling your gear because a little bit of carelessness can damage the whisper key bridge and pad.
- If your gear is a wooden one, check for leaks and cracks at least once in a year.
The bottom line
No matter what kind of woodwind instrument you own, taking proper care will ensure the long-life of your thing. And, for the unfortunate and unforeseen situations, you have Woodwinds Insurance plans. Choose a good and customer-oriented insurance provider; find suitable insurance coverage and peace of mind guaranteed.
Because of the increasing popularity of musical instrument insurance plans, you will find multiple options to choose from. So how to find a reliable insurance service provider? Is this question crossing your mind at the moment? Well, such questions are quite obvious when you have plenty of options, and you don’t know which one you should go for. Make sure to choose a service provider that’s licensed and registered. It will ensure best-in-class and hassle-free services. Also, before you begin searching for an insurance company, make sure to understand your specific needs in the first place. When you know what you want, it becomes easier to find the right option.